Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Edwards, the GOP, and the right to privacy

Radley Balko, aka TheAgitator, points out that the Republicans have the following criticism of Edwards on their G O P.com :: RNC Research: Who Is John Edwards? website.
EDWARDS: 'I believe there is a fundamental right to privacy. I do not believe the government belongs in people's bedrooms. I think that applies to both gay and lesbian couples and heterosexual couples.' (Sen. John Edwards, Remarks At Democrat Presidential Candidates Debate, Columbia, SC, 5/3/03)
Balko goes on to say
"I'd like to see someone from the GOP state the contra of this position. I'd like to see the president or vice president say in a debate, 'I believe the government belongs in your bedroom. I believe that you have no right to privacy when it comes to sex. And I believe there's a national interest in ensuring that you and your sex partner have only man-on-woman, missionary position intercourse.'

What a sad, sorry mess the Republican party has become."

No comments: