Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Hoodia: the Kalahari diet cactus

I got a spam email message about Hoodia, which I read. Tracking it down, I found this 2 year old BBC NEWS article.
Imagine this: an organic pill that kills the appetite and attacks obesity.

It has no known side-effects, and contains a molecule that fools your brain into believing you are full. …

When South African scientists were routinely testing it, they discovered the plant contained a previously unknown molecule, which has since been christened P 57.

The license was sold to a Cambridgeshire bio-pharmaceutical company, Phytopharm, who in turn sold the development and marketing rights to the giant Pfizer Corporation. …

Phytopharm's Dr Richard Dixey explained how P.57 actually works:

"There is a part of your brain, the hypothalamus. Within that mid-brain there are nerve cells that sense glucose sugar.

"When you eat, blood sugar goes up because of the food, these cells start firing and now you are full.

"What the Hoodia seems to contain is a molecule that is about 10,000 times as active as glucose.

"It goes to the mid-brain and actually makes those nerve cells fire as if you were full. But you have not eaten. Nor do you want to." …

Unfortunately for the overweight, Hoodia will not be around for several years, the clinical trials still have several years to run.

Do not travel to the Kalahari to steal the cactus as it is hard to find and illegal to export.

And beware internet sites offering Hoodia "pills" from the US as we tested the leading brand and discovered it has no discernible Hoodia in it. [Emphasis added. rja]

5 comments:

Hoodia said...

Hello: Blogger, I was looking for some information on diets and found your site. Reading Hoodia: the Kalahari diet cactus was not my original intent. But, I'm sure you know how it is when you start to read a interesting post…most time you just have to read it all. Bottom line, I've enjoyed reading your Blog. I’ve got you bookmarked for the future, I'll be back. I see now why I found your page when I was looking for diets related information, I’m off again in search of the info I seek . Thanks for the read!

Anonymous said...

Hoodia Diet is the solution for safe weight loss. Hoodia Gordonii contains a natural active ingredient, P57, which has only recently been identified. The P57 works as an appetite suppressant.

Taking Hoodia Diet Tablets when you are hungry alleviates the feeling of hunger and so makes you less likely to snack between meals due to hunger.

The Hoodia Gordonii Cactus has been used by the San indigenous people of South Africa for hundreds of years as an appetite suppressant and thirst quencher.

Extracts from this succulent have shown in clinical trials on obese subjects to reduce caloric intake by 30% to 40%. Significant weight loss has resulted from such a drop in caloric intake.

Therefore, Hoodia is one of the best and most powerful natural appetite suppressant available, if used in conjunction with any diet. Hoodia will help you to stop snacking between meals. It will also help you to reduce the amount that you eat at meal times.
click here foe more information and supplies http://trafficzone.us/hoo/hoodia_diet_pill.html

Dr Darryl Chew said...

How about this switzerland wellness information? I have been searching for switzerland wellness stuffs and came across your blog. Some good post you have. Hope my search for switzerland wellness is useful to you in your search for more switzerland wellness info.

alberthaanstra said...

Hi, Do you want to loose weight & get healthy? Hoodia Gordonii Plus is a cutting-edge, advanced appetite suppressant, metabolism booster, fat burner and energy enhancer... all in one. - Now you too can lose weight with this miracle diet pill. Hoodia Gordonii Plus

Rachel said...

I honestly must say this is one of the most useful blogs I have ever come across. I am not just saying that to butter you up! I am doing my thesis paper for my master degrees and spent the last 12 hours (and 10 cups of coffee) researching this area topic. So many blogs have generic information but yours is different. I can actually apply some of this information to my works. No worries I will give you credit in my references. I took it upon myself to add you to my favorites and will visit back to let you know how my grade ends up. Many thanks!best weight loss supplement.