Saturday, April 09, 2005

Exercise

I just came back from the gym where I did 30 minutes on an exercise bike. I always feel better after doing that. My question is, why don't I develop a positive conditioned reaction to the idea of going to the gym? When I think of other things that make me feel good, I look forward to doing them. But not the gym. When I think about exercising, my first reaction is to wonder whether I can put it off for a day. Yet exercising consistently makes me feel good. So what's the explanation?

The only thing I can think of is that the process of exercising itself is not necessarily enjoyable. I only feel good afterwards. Pavlov's dogs salivated at the prospect of doing something that they enjoyed doing, not at doing something that would make them feel good after finishing it.

No comments: