Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Integrity and Condoleezza Rice

From Wired News
"'I personally believe ... that your loyalty to the mission you were given, to sell this war, overwhelmed your respect for the truth,' [Senator Barbara] Boxer told Rice, citing statements about how fast former dictator Saddam Hussein might acquire a nuclear weapon.

Rice responded: 'I have never, ever, lost respect for the truth in the service of anything.

Her voice appearing to quaver with emotion as she looked directly at Boxer, she repeatedly asked the senator not to question her integrity.
Boxer then missed her chance. Instead of telling the truth, that she was in fact questioning Rice's integrity, she said
"I'm not. I'm just quoting what you said. You contradicted the president and you contradicted yourself."
I have a lot of respect for Rice. She is intelligent and articulate. But I too think she has sold her soul to Bush. It would be good for her to know that she has lost the respect of people who value intellectual honesty.

No comments: