Wednesday, March 02, 2005

SourceForge.net

I'm one of the more than 1,000,000 people who have registered at SourceForge.net, which describes itself as
the world's largest Open Source software development website, with the largest repository of Open Source code and applications available on the Internet. SourceForge.net provides free services to Open Source developers.
I haven't spent the time to become as knowledgeable as I probably should, but I never know what to make of these projects. The big guns, such as Linux, Apache, PHP, MySQL, and Eclipse. are not on SourceForge. Others are quite useful. But many seem fairly amateurish. A fair number are quite minimal. And quite a few seem to be dead. Yet SourceForge as a whole is alive and active, and many of the projects do sound interesting. We used one in a recent project. It worked quite well.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

A good majority of the open-source projects I have used were hosted on SourceForge, especially those implemented in Java. I'm frequently redirected to SoureForge's familiar "choose a mirror" download screen from project web sites. I noticed too that most of the projects I use are above the 90th percentile.